Corbett Barr from Think Traffic and Free Pursuits recently wrote a post to allow his readers to really get to know him. Corbett wrote the piece to strengthen his voice because he felt he had been presenting a watered-down version of himself to readers. When thinking over the weekend about being more authentic on this site and in my life, I realized a few things had to happen.
I had to post a photo of myself.
I needed to include my full name on my blog.
I wanted to write a piece similar to Corbett’s post.
Yesterday I accomplished the first two on my list. Today I hope this post will allow you get to know me better. My list includes some things even my friends don’t know about me. I am not sure it is really soul-bearing like Corbett’s, but it is certainly an odd collection of facts about me.
25 Things You Don’t Know About Me:
1. I have two toes that look like E.T.’s head. It’s subtle so you wouldn’t notice it if I didn’t point it out.
2. My feet are claustraphopic. Sandals are my favorite type of shoe. Spring means the return of freedom for my feet. The E.T. toe thing obviously doesn’t bother me. I swear this isn’t going to just be about my feet. And I don’t have a foot fetish.
3. If I could live anywhere, I would live by the water. I love swimming in open water (but see No. 18. This can get in the way of my enjoyment of the water), listening to the ocean roll in, the sound of a lake lapping up to shore, the sun shimmering on a body of water, kayaking, and boating. I belong by the water.
4. I can’t stand to waste unnecessarily. My definition of “unecessarily” includes the beautiful ribbon used to wrap a gift for me and the last tablespoon of salad dressing.
5. I can’t stand clutter. I know No. 4 made me sound like a hoarder, but I am the queen to de-cluttering. If it isn’t used regularly it gets thrown out, handed down to someone else, or given to charity.
6. No matter what happens in life, everything will be OK if my spices are alphabetized. Even at my lowest points during the separation when I lost the ability to stay on top of the house (read: it was a mess), my spices stayed organized the entire time.
7. Two things I wish I owned: a kayak and an iPad. Both I would like to own in the next 12 months. I am not one to want things. Instead I try to focus on being grateful for what I am blessed to have now. I try to instill that in my children too. That said, I really want a kayak and an iPad!
8. I have a black belt. I earned it in a Northern Shaolin style Kung-Fu called Tien Shan Pai.
9. I would like to be a published author. I am working on one book idea right now.
10. A well-made salted caramel is my favorite sweet.
11. CakeLove’s cupcake, called 44 (named for President Barack Obama), is another sweet I love. It’s a salted caramel cupcake. Yum!
12. My favorite meal in the winter is homemade wild mushroom risotto with a glass (or two) of White Burgundy wine. I make this dish weekly in the winter. My kids don’t like it so I always have leftovers. More for me!
13. I am a total foodie.
14. And an oenophile.
15. I think cats are creepy and I don’t trust them. I think there is a borderline irrational fear with this cat issue. See No. 18 for another irrational fear.
16. I will be completing a photography degree in August 2011.
17. I love Bono. I have loved this man since the early 80′s and think he has only gotten better with age. Seeing U2 in concert is on my bucket list and should have been crossed off the list by now.
18. I have an irrational fear of sharks. There is a whole series of blog posts I could write about this one. Someday I will face this fear and compete in a triathlon with an ocean swim. Until then I will continue doing lake and river swim triathlons. No sharks in that water.
19. I love children. Mine and even other people’s kids. There is joy in experiencing life through the eyes of a child.
20. I have a Lego obsession. Kids provide an excuse for buying yet another Lego set: it’s really for Monkey, not me. I don’t think anyone really believes that though.
21. My one baseball crush: Andre Ethier. I follow him on Facebook, have an Etheir jersey card, and love the Dodgers because he plays for the team (well, and Manny Ramirez too-another reason to love the Dodgers).
22. My five favorite baseball teams (in order of preference): Nationals, Rangers, Phillies, Yankees, and Dodgers. I love to go to games: 7 year-old machine pitch, collegiate summer league, minor league, and major league. Diet Coke, peanuts, and a baseball game is my idea of a perfect day.
23. I am a voracious reader.
24. I love the geeky/techie/analytical side of blogging as much as I do writing.
25. I have three ideas for new blogs.
So, can you relate to anything on my list? If I haven’t scared you off and you haven’t done so yet,
Subscribe to my blog HERE.
Follow me on Google+ HERE.
Follow me on Twitter HERE.
Follow me on Facebook HERE.
And, if you blog and have the desire to become a better blogger, you should follow Corbett Barr’s blog Think Traffic. If you are a regular reader, you know I have an obsession with Darren Rowse of Pro Blogger (OK, I worship the man. Everyone knows that). Corbett is number 2 on my list. So follow him!
Tomorrow there will be a post on self-discovery and the pursuit of happiness. I hope you will join in the dialogue tomorrow.