This week I have felt every emotion possible as a result of finalizing my divorce. It has been a hard week, but by last night I felt more like myself. I was relaxed and at peace, gathered together with a small group of friends. The friend hosting last night presented me with a cake. There was a special message written on it:
Yes, it is a new beginning. It is time for me to move forward and celebrate this new life.
While I am pleased with where I am with my life right now, I do still know I have much to learn and experience on my journey. As I move forward with a new beginning, I need to stay mindful of where I am heading at this stage in my life.
A blog I recently discovered, Marc and Angel Hack Life, had a thought-provoking post. The piece simply listed questions for the reader to ask herself and ponder. Of the 50 questions posed, these ten resonated for me:
- If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
- If the average human life span was 50 years, how would you live your life differently?
- What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back?
- Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?
- At what time in the recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?
- If not now, when?
- If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?
- What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
- To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?
- Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
If I answer these questions as I would one, two, and three years ago and compare it to today, the answers change with each passing year. What I see is growth in me. A happier me. I know I am moving on the right path and where I am headed is becoming more clear.
While I had a significant change in my life on Wednesday that has led me to a point of a new beginning, we all have an opportunity for a new beginning.
Each day is a chance to start anew.
Here’s to New Beginnings.
As I start this new chapter in my life, I thought Five for Fighting has a perfect song for Song of the Week. This week I am sharing “World.”
Go create the world you want.
History starts now.