If someone gave me the gift of seeing 12 months into the future last Christmas, I would not have believed what life would look like today. There had been so many difficult challenges and I felt sure I had many more to face in 2011.
Late Christmas Eve last year I reflected on the events in 2010. I found myself crying over how exhausting, overwhelming, and emotionally draining it had been in the last 12 months. Lying on my sofa crying at the stroke of midnight on Christmas Eve was a sad way to start what should be one of the happiest, fun-filled, family-focused holidays of the year.
Life a Year Ago:
- I was enrolled in professional photography school with the idea I would only work in the area of food photography, but unsure I could keep up the expected pace through graduation.
- Finding balance in my life was impossible as a single, working mom in school.
- With my blog in the infancy stage, I was working hard to build a social media presence in a limited amount of time.
- I was working on healing wounds from a painful breakup, wondering if I could allow myself to feel so deeply and trust someone so openly with my heart again.
- My divorce was not yet final and my future still felt uncertain.
Life This Year:
- As a graduate of photography school I have been working professionally, including shooting weddings (which I swore I would never do).
- Life still isn’t perfectly balanced, but I like it that way.
- My writing and social media work has led to me teaching on the two topics as well as writing for many other sites in the last year.
- A year later I have found I do have the ability to feel so deeply and trust another.
- The divorce is finalized.
What I have learned in the last year is that I should not have a plan; instead it is best to do what I am passionate about and follow my heart. Something wonderful and unexpected is around the corner and it is probably better than I could imagine.
“We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ~Joseph Campbell