Recently I read something hateful. It was written with the intention to harm another individual and while I was not the person this anger was directed towards, I felt the pain the intended recipient must have felt.The ugliness that exists in another human being to lash out with the intention to do harm is sad. This horrid act has bothered me, but I remembered something that was shared with me many years ago.
Audrey Hepburn was asked to share her beauty tips for American Movie Classics magazine. Her thoughts on beauty made such an impact on me and I still have a copy, which I reference on occasion. It is my standard for evaluating my own beauty and the beauty in others.
Audrey Hepburn’s Thoughts on Beauty:
- For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
- For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
- For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
- For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day.
- For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
- The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.
- The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mode, but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows.
- The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.
So many people would benefit from following Audrey’s measure of beauty, not just for themselves, but for those in their lives who are affected by their actions and words. This beauty brings about happiness within ourselves and is a gift to others.
How fortunate for all of us that Audrey shared her wisdom and beauty with the world.